Tuesday, May 31, 2016

ROOTS: PART I REVIEW

ROOTS: PART I REVIEW

Written by: Colin Bruce Munro Wood – 05/31/16 – 6:35PM ET


I have always appreciated LeVar Burton, and his contribution to children, education, and society.  Never thought he was the greatest of actors, although, not bad either.  But when holding up his 1977 Kunta Kinte performance to Malachi Kirby’s heart-pounding, soul-wrenching performance as the young Kinte, you might think of comparing sunfish to tuna.  Mr. Kirby earned himself, if not at least an Emmy award nomination in the first episode of the mini-series, “Roots” on the History Channel, I’d rather an Emmy itself be lain into his precious hands.

The 2016 edition and remake of the 12 episode “Roots” series of 1977, condensing the story to a 4-night mini-series performance, goes to extremes to show the greed, and hate within Africa’s own borders that brought slavery to America, and to Europe.  The performances of every actor from the first scenes to the vicious ending of episode 1 are dead on perfect!  Tony Curran, whom I’ve never seen before, to my knowledge anyway, has both caused me to want to kill him as a character, and to honor him as an actor.

James Purefoy, who has yet to earn his Oscar as an A-List type performer, takes John Waller beyond the 1977 acceptable level of television violence, and turns him into the true barbarian he actually was.  Purefoy, is purely evil, and never fails to nail his characters to the wall, as an example of purely great acting!

Hakeem Kae-Kazim, whom I’ve followed since I discovered him on season 7 of “24” as the bad guy, and in the prequel “Redemption” if November after season 6 (I own all 8 seasons and the prequel), is amazing and evil as always in his opening scenes in Africa! Mr. Kae-Kazim is Nigerian born, but a British graduate of the esteemed Bristol Old Vic, and a veteran of the Royal Shakespeare Company, along with many movie credits to his name, as well!

As usual, Forest Whitaker, as the Fiddler, is fantastic, and I am really enjoying the characterization he has brought to the role.  Sometimes, admittedly, Forest has bored me in some roles he’s created, on the other hand, I usually love him in the others.  This is one of the loved roles.  Forest seems truly connected to the storyline, and character, and I feel as though, he did more character building with this role, in order to fit with this incredible cast, whom make every second of the show seem so real, I had to turn my head several times from the violence.

Speaking of violence, and going back to the closing scene of episode 1, in which, I thought I was going to lose my marbles in my lap....  Mr. Kirby puts on a Denzel Washington crushing performance, as he is whipped into submission of calling himself someone other than his original birth name.  Beaten, almost to death, skin scourging, blood pouring, kneed falling... over a name.  A power trip, brought on my Mr. Waller and his farm hand and slave beater, and most evil character in the show, played viciously by Tony Curran.

Tony must have had to take a huge step back during the filming of this scene, and searched deep within his creative form to put on such an incredibly stunning, disgusting, hateful, jaw-dropping performance.  A performance, which as an actor, I can tell you is much harder than the close-ups that Kirby had to endure, which are not easy mind you, but to do what Curran did in this scene, is unbelievable.  I know, that I for one, had I done that scene, would have needed a day to recover emotionally and physically.

Needless to say, the History Channel’s 2016 rendition of “Roots” is not to be missed.  Watch it whenever you can, and see what really happened if you aren’t familiar with the beginning of slavery in the 1700’s in America.  Revolutionists started slavery. Not just southerners in general.
Enjoy part II of “Roots” tonight at 9PM, and a rerun starting at 630PM on The History Channel.

Wood News Agency, LLC                                                                         Binghamton, NY
#ROOTS                                #colinbmwood                               #woodnewsagency1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! We have finally opened up this choice! Thank you!!!