Friday, May 19, 2017

WHY DOES AN ACTOR PERFORM?



Thinking of a topic to write about today, this one jumped in my mind within a minute.

Being an entertainer is quite the task. You can end up travelling, not working, doing other jobs, become a star, be harrassed, critiqued, and followed by mobs of fans. You take classes, maybe schooling, and rehearse until you collapse. You are put down by directors sometimes, used by casting directors or Producers who might then toss you aside, if you don't give them what they may be really wanting form you. Sometimes, you end up with your personal life smeared all over papers. Worse of all, if you're doing really well, a manager might rob you and mis-use your funds. Such as, Johnny Depp is dealing with now, and many famous performers before him.



So, the question begs to be asked, why does anyone want to go through all that just to be an actor, singer, or dancer?

I'd have to say the first reason is passion. You are born with it. You start copying what you see on television, or sing along with an album. Maybe you dance all over your living room, or can't stop telling jokes to your family. It is instilled the moment you enter the world, and there is no giving into it, if you've got what it takes!

Being a performer allows you to release emotions that the everyday person is not always in touch with. This can be to a peformers demise at times, if they don't separate fantasy from realilty, though. Many of us have made that mistake. Maybe you have learned to be a badass, and take things out on others. Maybe you play emotional characters, and cry and think too much when you are playing in normal life. Maybe you let stardom go to your head, and carry an attitude that you are better than others. All downfalls to the bug of performing.

But, the reason we do what we do, most of all, is to teach. To help others feel, and learn from what we produce for them. Whether it is a moralistic story, or a life involved situation that the everyday person has faced. We get to help you in your struggles, by giving you release, and a different view.

More than that, however, we are born to create, to pretend, to do what the normal individual can't assemble all at once. We get to be passionate, and create someone out of thin air. We study everyone we meet, and every situation we ensnare ourelves in, and then we take these memories, study who we are going to be, and put it all together into one package to offer to the viewer.

It can be a demoralizing career. Maybe you never make it. Some don't even get paid for what they do, while others fail time and again to even get cast. Yet, many of us march on, waiting for that small or big break, that can open doors for our future, and our familys' futures. We hope to one day live a comfortable life, not having to worry about where the next dime is going to come, or when we might eat our next meal. We want to be just like the everyday individual, and have a normal life outside of what we do, in most cases. 

Sure, there are those who have made the A-list, per se, and live ridiculous extravagent lives. How many times have we seen their lives fall down the tubes? I could name a few it has happened to from Robert Downey Jr. to Wesley Snipes, and so on, and so on. 

In the old days, actors, and other performers weren't paid to live these kind of lives. Sure, maybe in Hollywood you were a little more wealthy and could afford one lavish home. But, look at Johnny Depp, who owns multiple establishments all over the world, fine art, the best wines, and now is seeking new management, and a way to unload some of his riches, just to get back to living the life he has created. A fantasy really. 



Former famous actors, such as, Jimmy Stewart, Ronald Reagan, and many of the supporting actors we all can recognize in everything they do, live normal lives. They have decent homes, a nice car or two, and a family maybe. Many don't even stay in the California area, once they've made a name for themselves, and opt for the quiter, simple life that afford them peace from the rat race of a being a peformer.

Don't believe for one second that even a thrid of famous actors/singers thorougly enjoy the daily hounding of the paparazzi, or the newspapers, or the false accusations and stories, and the millions of crazy fans. It is nice for a while, but it wears thin and approaches abuse once it gets out of hand.

I, once upon a time, played a role that allowed me to work for a year in a luxurious theater, with up to 50, and even more fans, waiting for me every day at the stage door. They would bring cameras to take photos with, or of me. They would offer cakes, cookies, flowers, stuffed animals, and beg for my signature at every turn.


Some of the performers I worked with kept it limited, or didn't acknowledge their fanbase at all! I took to it like a fly on a wall, and thorougly enjoyed it, but eventually, even that low level of stardom got to me after a few months, and days I wasn't feeling so well, or wasn't in the mood, even I would try to find ways to sneek into the Theater to avoid the mass. It wasn't that I didn't love my fans for supporting me, and what I offered them every night on stage, but sometimes you just realize you are just a human like them. You need your personal space, and can't take all the attention every day of your life!

Imagine this on the Hollywood or Nashville level, where you can never escape it, excpet in the fortitude of your gated home and property. It could drive one wild. Some performers, such as Depp move out of the USA, because fans aren't quite the same in Europe or Canada as they are in America. They respect your privacy more outside of the states. How sad, that one might have to leave your home, just to be able to live life!

I guess, what I'm saying is. It's not the glamorous life many make it out to be, and what we do is more often about our passion, and love for what we do, than the stardom. 

I still like to perform, and can still stop all conversation in a room in most places I sing. Sometimes, I can even act well. 

At this moment, I write. I write blogs, books, and now have taken on screenplays. I have found other talents in book cover creations, and creating websites, for which I sill have yet to be hired, since I just started out, and just began marketing myself. But, this marketing, it takes time, energy, hard work, and sometimes money you don't have yet, and therefore you count on your friends, acquaintences, and social media to help you. Sometimes, as in my case with my first book, you can go nowhere. I may get tons of readers to my free blogging pages, but when it comes to spending a cup of coffee on a book of mine, or maybe $25 an hour to create your cover or website professionally, it's close to impossible, and as tough as pulling new teeth from someone's mouth.

I absolutely love the privacy I have doing what I do now. I am certainly not getting wealthy from it, but that takes time and continuous relentless marketing, until you are so noticed, that hopefully someone says, "hey, I should check this person's shit out", they sure do put a lot into it! I don't want the A-list life, or the glamorous life necessarily. Not that it wouldn't be nice for a little while, but what I really want is to be able to live month to month, not wondering how I will pay that extra bill that springs up, just like most of you! I certainly would love to be an A-list actor in Hollywood someday, but not for the reason you expect. I want to be able to effect millions with my ability to make them feel, think, and maybe even change something wrong in their life. I want to create characters. 

When I get on a stage, or in front of a camera, or microphone, I become a glowing bulb of energy, and light, that I don't feel most of the time. I turn on! I become more professional than I can ever get across at an audition, or on my own computer, or in a class. All of the sudden, my inhibitions all fall to the waste side, when I have an audience, because...I don't want to let you down! I want to give you what you came for! An escape from reality! A chance to put your troubles behind. Books do that for you, too!

So, if you aren't in the business, or if you are, do what I try to do, and offer genuine support to those you think are talented. Buy their cheap book, go to their movie, see them sing, and lose yourself in what they are allowing you to experience with them.

Peformers are not better than anyone else. We are just different in some ways. Our jobs are no less, or more than the average daily job, whether that is cleaning animal cages, or waiting tables, both of which I have done. Maybe you sell, or maybe you drive a bus, truck, or limo. Maybe you work for the government. Whatever you do, do it your best, and put all you have into it. 

Performers want to be accepted and recognized for what they do, as much any person out there does. So support your local arts. Go to a movie, even if you have to wait for the cheaper showings. Buy that book from your friend. Take the time to read an article they worked on to make an effect on your daily life, and ritual, and I promise you will be awarded just as much as I am for taking a bus ride with a nice driver, or getting served by a great waitress, or when I get an awesome haircut from my favorite hair-dresser. 


We are all here in the world together, and we all need to support what everyone does. Whehter its a daily necessity, or not!

Give to others, share with others, and help others, and this world will be much better off, and we all just might have better lives that way!

Genuine Love and Support!

Love to you all from this performer/writer! Truly!

Written by: Colin Bruce Munro Wood - 10:24 ET, 16:24 German time - 05.19.2017

Copyright 2017
N.A.W. Publishing

First photo courtesy of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enmpKLGBpbE

Second photo courtesy of:
https://www.google.de/search?q=picture+of+Johnny+Depp&tbm=isch&imgil=kR53hhMb-PEMcM%253A%253BWHD5ZncZeKmvpM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Ffeelgrafix.com%25252F938071-johnny-depp.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=kR53hhMb-PEMcM%253A%252CWHD5ZncZeKmvpM%252C_&usg=__dqmbeXiRHH9hswPWWnBn4W1GrMs%3D&biw=1600&bih=770&ved=0ahUKEwjz586_lfzTAhXJFiwKHXLwBlUQyjcITA&ei=MQEfWbOLF8mtsAHy4JuoBQ#imgrc=kR53hhMb-PEMcM:

Third photo courtesy of:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/americas-expensive-home-250m-los-angeles-mansion-hits-market-965062

Fourth photo courtesy of:
https://www.google.de/search?q=Photo+of+starlight+express+bochum&tbm=isch&imgil=qlg-xsIN9eiieM%253A%253BjOhkGvJc-nXh2M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.geodruid.com%25252Fintl%25252Fen%25252Fplace%25252F219729-starlight-express-theater-bochum-theater-bochum-deutschland&source=iu&pf=m&fir=qlg-xsIN9eiieM%253A%252CjOhkGvJc-nXh2M%252C_&usg=__hQFZozk9vPNxDcmQjqDdUJD28kI%3D&biw=1600&bih=770&ved=0ahUKEwjT8sjAlvzTAhVBoCwKHeQfA1YQyjcISw&ei=PwIfWZPXMcHAsgHkv4ywBQ#imgrc=qlg-xsIN9eiieM:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! We have finally opened up this choice! Thank you!!!