Monday, August 1, 2016

FIGHT FOR LOVE BY Dani Cronce

FIGHT FOR LOVE 
Written by: Dani Cronce (Binghamton Councilwoman) 08/01/2016 07:10PMET 
Edted by: Colin BM Wood 

Today I wish to write to about the courage to choose love. Courage is needed at times when all else seems to be falling around us. Sometimes it is needed to stand up to those who are speaking lies or spreading corruption. It is not easy to stand on our own intuition and trust ourselves. But we are coming to a time that we need to stand up and  fight. 

I am the daughter of a mixed racial marriage. I grew up with the beauty of acceptance. I grew up with a home that had two loving parents who cared about me and my siblings. My parents loved each other very much, their love echoed through our house, our youth and our lives. Their love was strong. My father died when I was 20. It has been 17 years and my mother is still very much in love with him to this day. 

Love like this is a gift that should be valued and cherished. I was blessed enough to experience it first hand. 

This love developed me into the woman I am. This love is the gift I give to others. A way of life that I share freely with those around me. One thing my parents taught me was how to love each other through thick and thin. We never seen in color, but in waves of gratitude and warmth. 

This love that they shared gives me courage to speak about the hate speak that has been infiltrating our internet and communities. It is turning hearts cold to each other. I recently left a shared apartment due to being harassed because my skin was not dark enough. I was scared to go home. I was scared for my son who is very light skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes. It was a very hard time in my life. I was forced to pack up my things and I fled for safety. I lost a lot. I left my neighbors and friends, it broke my heart and crushed my soul. No one should be judged on things that they cannot change. 

Yet, I refuse to be bitter. I will stand up and continue to love everyone. Not because I have to, but because love is a choice. And I choose to love others. 

My friends, this happened in Binghamton. This happened to me in my home. I was hurt, I was scared, I forgave, I moved on. I am stronger and more determined to help bring peace into every home in my community. 

We need to put aside this ignorant talk about hate and finger pointing! We cannot change the color of our skin just like we cannot change the past of our nation. We should not be judged by our color. We all share this earth and our feet set upon the same ground. We must fight in love. Kindness is a great gift. Love can cure a multitude of pain. 

We are all one race. The human race! 

My friend, I love you. I reach out my hand to you in friendship. I will be here for you no matter what color, class, religion, gender affiliation, or disability you may posses. I will love you no matter what bad choices you have made. 

We are all one. One love, One heartbeat, one pulse that is felt through the universe we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! We have finally opened up this choice! Thank you!!!